Maryland Auto Insurance Policy Requirements
- Liability Coverage
- Liability insurance looks at property and people as two different concepts, and so it is divided into two types:
- The state of Maryland requires liability insurance for all drivers. Residents of Maryland must possess a current driver’s license along with the following minimum in liability coverage:
- Liability minimums vary for leased vehicles.
- Collision Coverage is only required if your vehicle is financed (not completely paid for). Otherwise, collision is merely a recommended option as part of a Maryland auto insurance policy.
- Comprehensive Coverage is only required if your vehicle is financed, and so if your vehicle is not financed, on the other hand, it is an optional part of a Maryland auto insurance policy.
- Medical Payments Coverage is recommended though not required for an auto insurance policy in Maryland.
- Uninsured (and Underinsured) Motorist Coverage is required by Maryland state law on all auto insurance policies.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage is a compulsory addition to a Maryland auto insurance policy.
- Other Possible Options
A: Discounts on auto insurance policies are available. See our list of auto insurance discounts to see if you may be eligible.
A: There are several authoritative sources with information on Maryland insurance coverage:
- Maryland Insurance Resources
- The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) registers vehicles in Maryland and issues driver’s licenses. An insurance page explains details regarding options on auto insurance policies and what to do if you are involved in an accident.
- The Maryland Insurance Administration is an independent state agency that ensures regulation of the insurance market. Their automobile insurance page is particularly helpful.
- National Insurance Resources
The beauties of Maryland – its windswept sand dunes, the oak forested hills of the Piedmont, and the wide stretch of marshlands near the bay – vary so much in such a small space that it has earned the nickname “America in Miniature”. Despite the “miniature” moniker, CLICKinsure knows that Maryland has big needs for top broker services. We serve the entire state, including Baltimore, Washington DC suburbs, Annapolis, Silver Spring, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Frederick, Hagerstown, Salisbury, Ocean City, and Waldorf. A CLICKinsure agent is ready to help you find the best in automobile insurance.